a) Environmental Benefits
- Reduces carbon emissions and can contribute to national renewable energy targets
- Only biogas (and some carbon dioxide) is taken out, so valuable nutrients are recycled back into the soil
- Digestate may also be used as a feedstock for other biofuel production and for innovative fibre building materials
- AD creates skilled ‘green’ jobs and contributes to growth in the local economy
- When used in conjunction with segregated municipal waste collection, it reduces waste sent to landfill
- Sanitizes waste output providing a reduced public health hazard/ reduces pollution risk.
b) Benefits to Those That Own and Operate AD Plants
- Landfill taxation costs reduced, transportation costs can be less
- Owning an AD plant lends authority to the owner organisation’s green credentials
- Possible government incentive payments available
- Secures a reliable long-term waste disposal route for the plant owners own waste
- Potential for truly profitable sales of outputs.